Fwd: [unbound] memory usage

Nicolas Baumgarten nicomail+unbound at gmail.com
Sat Mar 16 03:01:59 UTC 2024

Hi,
we have been using unbound for a long time, and we are very happy with it.

But I would like to know a little about memory usage.
LAtely we are seeing that unbound process grows using all memory and start
swapping causing a big loss of performance (latency, dropped packets, etc)

The question is that stats metrics (mem*) are stable . They rapidly grow
after startup and stay at a logical
maximum and don't keep growing.

But the process size does.

For example, two servers, same config, same hardware:
version 1.9.1, on redhat 8.7

*Server A uptime 2 hours:*
unbound-control  stats_noreset | grep mem
mem.cache.rrset=285212642
mem.cache.message=142606338
mem.mod.iterator=16748
mem.mod.validator=25689380
mem.mod.respip=0
mem.mod.subnet=61555940
mem.streamwait=0
mem.http.query_buffer=0
mem.http.response_buffer=0

Unbound proc *RES size 1.6GB, VIRT 1,8 GB*

*Server B uptime 6 days. *
mem.cache.rrset=285212302
mem.cache.message=142606461
mem.mod.iterator=16748
mem.mod.validator=25689867
mem.mod.respip=0
mem.mod.subnet=142614402
mem.streamwait=0
mem.http.query_buffer=0
mem.http.response_buffer=0

Unbound proc *RES size 5.5GB, VIRT 6.2 GB*

As you can see the only difference in memory is the mod.subnet which is
60Mb vs 140Mb, but this limit is reached at 4  or 5 hours of
running and stays there.

Why  is it using almost 4 GB more after a couple of days while caches are
stable??
There is some way to control this?

Whe are restarting unbound every two days now (while waiting for a little
bit more of ram)

Thanks!!