unbound without internet

Hans Sandsdalen hans at spacetec.no
Tue Sep 5 05:46:53 UTC 2023

Hi

Yesteday we lost connection to internet. I supposed that dns would be ok for our internal hosts. But unbound became very slow, sometimes did not respond at all. We use nsd and unbound.

What can I do to prevent this in the future?

/etc/unbound/unbound.conf.d/ contains tree files:
KSPT.conf qname-minimisation.conf root-auto-trust-anchor-file.conf

KSPT.conf:

server:
verbosity: 1
interface: 0.0.0.0
access-control: 192.168.0.0/16 allow
access-control: 10.0.0.0/8 allow
access-control: 127.0.0.0/8 allow
port: 53
do-ip4: yes
do-ip6: no
root-hints: "/etc/unbound/root.hints"
cache-min-ttl: 300
cache-max-ttl: 86400
prefetch: yes
num-threads: 1
minimal-responses: yes
prefetch: no
do-not-query-localhost: no
local-zone: "domain.no" nodefault
local-zone: "168.192.in-addr.arpa" nodefault
local-zone: "10.in-addr.arpa" nodefault
domain-insecure: "domain.no"
domain-insecure: "168.192.in-addr.arpa"
domain-insecure: "10.in-addr.arpa"
private-domain: "domain.no"
stub-zone:
name: "168.192.in-addr.arpa."
stub-addr: 127.0.0.1 at 1053
stub-zone:
name: "10.in-addr.arpa."
stub-addr: 127.0.0.1 at 1053
stub-zone:
name: "spacetec.no"
stub-addr: 127.0.0.1 at 1053

remote-control:
control-enable: yes

qname-minimisation.conf:

server:
# Send minimum amount of information to upstream servers to enhance
# privacy. Only sends minimum required labels of the QNAME and sets
# QTYPE to NS when possible.

# See RFC 7816 "DNS Query Name Minimisation to Improve Privacy" for
# details.

qname-minimisation: yes

root-auto-trust-anchor-file.conf:

server:
# The following line will configure unbound to perform cryptographic
# DNSSEC validation using the root trust anchor.
auto-trust-anchor-file: "/var/lib/unbound/root.key"

---
HANS SANDSDALEN
Manager IT Tromsø
Space Ground Systems
Kongsberg Defence & Aerospace AS

+47 977 62 632
[ mailto:hans at spacetec.no | hans at spacetec.no ]
[ http://www.kongsberg.com/space | www.kongsberg.com/space ]

CONFIDENTIALITY This e-mail and any attachment contain KONGSBERG information which may be proprietary, confidential or subject to export regulations, and is only meant or the intended recipient(s). Any disclosure, copying, distribution or use is prohibited, if not otherwise explicitly agreed with KONGSBERG. If received in error, please delete it immediately from your system and notify the sender properly.