Unbound and RPZ

Yorgos Thessalonikefs yorgos at nlnetlabs.nl
Mon Dec 18 13:50:42 UTC 2023

Hi Francis,

Welcome! Some quick notes from my part, inline.

Best regards,
-- Yorgos

On 18/12/2023 10:08, Francis Turner via Unbound-users wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I’m a brand new user of the mailing list. I work for ThreatSTOP which
> makes RPZ’s available on a variety of DNS platforms.
>
> Recently we’ve been asked to support unbound.
>
> Several years ago I looked at this and, at the time, there was no way to
> use a TSIG key to secure zone transfers and looking at the documentation
> today that seems to still be the case.
Indeed, although adding TSIG support for zone transfers is part of our
plans.

> I have an ubuntu based example server running that I am able to get RPZ
> into by means of an external shell script that does a dig and sed
> pipeline. Is this the preferred method? And/or has someone got clear
> documentation on how to do this better?
>
> I will be happy to contribute my example configs (and RPZ update script)
> back to the project if there are no better ones around.
>
> I have two questions, assuming that the shell script method is the
> correct approach
>
>  1. Once I have updated the rpz zonefile, should I use “unbound-control
>     reload” to get the new RPZ in or is there a better alternative
>     (auth_zone_reload )?
Reloading just that one zone is better time-wise.
Based on the contents of the RPZ zone itself (the kind of triggers it
uses, in particular rpz-nsdname and rpz-nsip since these will access
records already in the cache), also emptying the cache through a regular
reload may be what you need instead.

>  2. I think I’m correct that unbound-control log_reopen should be called
>     in the postrotate stanza of a logroate.d config ?
If you specify your own configuration file then yes.
If not, then logs are directed to the syslog which should be rotated
automatically.