A records, PTR records, and TTL setting

Jon Murphy jcmurphy26 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 20:49:28 UTC 2024

Fred,

Thank you for your response.  You’ve given me a lot to ponder and learn!

> I can't easily sort out what's quoted and what's a reply, so I'm going to go to what I think is the heart of this.

I have a terrible time reading the same.  I thought replying like others did!  I’ll change!

> Suppose you have a shoe. You can call it "a shoe" or "the shoe".
> Suppose you have two shoes, because you have two feet. Are they identical?

I’d like to change the analogy - to a person with two ears.  And one head.

The head (brain?, CPU?) knows it is referred to as "deb12dell" because that is what I named her.

She is standing in the doorway to two rooms, The left ear listens to zone Living Room (ethernet).  The right ear listens to zone Reading Room (wi-fi).

If someone in the Living Room (ethernet) asks where is she ("deb12dell") located, I expect the answer to be she is at "192.168.60.175".

Does this change the answer?

That is basically my story.

For what it is worth, I don’t plan to change anything related to DHCP.  Right now I plan to only work with what I get from DCHP which is the IP address and the hostname.  DHCP is another package built and admin'd by someone else.

> You've introduced an additional layer of indirection (addressing) without realizing it. The MAC address is used for packet delivery on a LAN; it is sometimes called an "ethernet address" in this context.

I do not believe unbound does anything with MAC addresses.  So I let DHCP take care of that and I ignore them from Unbound.

Am I not right?

Jon