Troubleshooting SERVFAIL

Havard Eidnes he at uninett.no
Sun Sep 24 09:06:42 UTC 2023

> Upon trying to reach the domain Attenix Login <https://saas.attenix.co.il/>
> I encounter SERVFAIL
> I'm using unbound on my Pihole device.
> I do not block this domain using pihole. This is only a DNS setup issue,
> but I'm not sure how to fix this.

Typically, SERVFAIL status can mean one of two things:

1) Your recursor could not get an answer from any of the
   publishing name servers for the zone where the queried-for
   name is located.

2) There is a DNSSEC problem (Expired signatures?  Mismatching DS
   / DNSKEY records?)

I use my go-to DNS debugger at https://dnsviz.net/, as it may
easily be used to distinguish between the two.

The current status is that the attenix.co.il zone is not DNSSEC
signed, so #2 is "out".

Dnsviz flags that it could not get a response from two of the
publishing name servers for the zone -- one over IPv4/UDP, one
over IPv6/TCP.

Re-checking with both BIND and unbound 1.17.1 recursors locally
elicits a response, and don't think I'm able to reproduce the
issues flagged by dnsviz.net:

saas.attenix.co.il.     3596    IN      A       62.90.175.227

so at least I'm not able to reproduce the problem that way.
However, whether there is something particular in your situation
which causes a #1 situation I'm not able to tell, sorry.

Best regards,

- Håvard