disable qname minimization per zone?

A. Schulze sca at andreasschulze.de
Tue Nov 14 17:02:36 UTC 2023

Hello,

a recent discussion [1] let me try to disable qname minimization per zone.
Unfortunately, it seems impossible, at least what I read in the docs.

Having a look at the logs produced by an rbldnsd, serving a DNSxL, I can confirm,
that a resolver with active qname minimization generate a lot more traffic then needed.

I'm in a comfortable situation to have numerous DNSxL zones on a private Mirror
and pointing queries to this mirror.

stub-zone:
   name: "list.example."
   stub-addr: 192.0.2.53 # an rbldnsd ...

Exactly in such a stub-zone configuration, I would like to write "qname-minimization: no"

Does this make sense?

Andreas

[1] https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/dnsop/TH11z_uA3xss9Hdfru2V6XxKpNA/