DoT --> nginx --> unbound

Fred Morris m3047-unbound-b3u at m3047.net
Tue Mar 28 18:21:02 UTC 2023

(apologies for not responding to the original, but it's gone from my
inbox)

Before I go any further, this is not a DNS issue or an issue with unbound.
This is an issue with nginx setup and understanding TLS.

I do this with nginx, although not targeting unbound. Originally I did it
following the instructions included with BIND, and although the latest
versions of BIND support DoT I continue to use it with other DNS-based
services.

Before you do anything else:

* make sure that your unbound instance will accept a TCP connection on
port 53

Now we have confidence that if it gets a valid TCP stream it will respond
accordingly. So let's debug that tunnel.

1) open two terminal windows

2) to create a listener in one, type:

     nc -lk <local-address> <local-port>

3) in the other send it a message:

     nc <listener-address> <listener-port>
     test!
     ^C

That should work. Ok? Now jack nginx in there sideways across all four
lanes of the highway and test again:

4) in your custom (for testing) nginx config:

     stream {
       server {
         listen <listener-address>:<ssl-port> ssl;
         proxy_pass <listener-address>:<listener-port>;

5) send it a message, using openssl instead of nc in step 3:

     openssl s_client -quiet -connect <listener-address>:<ssl-port>
     [some debug information is printed]
     hello!
     ^C

If that doesn't work, then fix it.

Now you know that you have a good tunnel.

On Tue, 28 Mar 2023, Leen Besselink via Unbound-users wrote:
> [...]
> My guess is you need to put proxy_protocol on; in upstream dns to tell nginx
> to talk to it's backend.

Although I think this is a misconception and that's why I'm responding...

> On 26-03-2023 22:23, VPN Технологии via Unbound-users wrote:
>>
>>  Hello, I was trying to set up a DoT -> nginx -> unbound scheme but

At first blush "DoT -> nginx -> unbound" sounds sensible, but what exactly
does it mean?

Let's try this instead:

    TLS(TCP(DNS)) --TLS-> nginx --TCP-> unbound

0) "DNS" is a DNS message in the format which would be sent via UDP.

1) The DNS message is prepended with a length word and encapsulated in a
    TCP stream, which is then encapsulated in a TLS session.

2) This is tunnelled via TLS to nginx.

3) nginx provides the other end of the tunnel.

4) The TCP stream surfaced by nginx is sent to unbound.

Normally there will be one nginx at the server end and in close proximity
to it. Nginx is not being used at the client end of the tunnel.

What should be going into that tunnel from the client end is a legitimate
DNS TCP stream (the output of step 1).

>>  [...]
>>  unbound log:
>>
>>  error: proxy_protocol: could not parse PROXYv2 header
>>
>>  nginx log:
>>
>>  SSL_shutdown() failed (SSL: error:14094123:SSL
>>  routines:ssl3_read_bytes:application data after close notify) while
>>  proxying connection, client: <client_ipv4>, server: <server_ipv4>:853,
>> upstream: "[::1]:853", bytes from/to client:0/0, bytes from/to 0/0

You need something to create a TLS session. If unbound is complaining
about e.g. proxy_protocol then that's cruft which needs to be eliminated.

You need a transparent TLS tunnel within which to transport DNS over TCP.

Unbound is not seeing correct output, which should be DNS in a TCP stream:

* nginx is mistakenly sending this as some kind of handshake to negotiate
   something (there is nothing to negotiate!)

* whatever was fed into the nginx tunnel at the client end is not DNS in a
   TCP stream

Nginx is having issues negotiating a TLS session:

* that is not really nginx at the server end of the tunnel

* nginx (at the server end) is not properly configured to terminate the
   TLS tunnel

If you want an example of programmatically taking a UDP DNS request,
encapsulating that in a TCP stream and putting that in a TLS tunnel, see:

     https://github.com/m3047/tcp_only_forwarder

--

Fred Morris, internet plumber