outbound-msg-retry definition query

Joe Abley jabley at hopcount.ca
Mon Jul 11 17:18:17 UTC 2022

On Jul 11, 2022, at 09:49, Jan Komissar (jkomissa) <jkomissa at cisco.com> wrote:

> I think a non-positive reply is any reply that is not directly related to the DNS query itself. NOERROR and NXDOMAIN are (positive) responses that are directly related, as they answer the query.

Oh, I agree with that. And a name error is cacheable which in this context surely illustrates that it does not represent a failure to send a query or receive a response.

> All other response codes are related to other circumstances, such as network issues, ACLs, misconfigurations, and misformatted packets.

I suppose there's an element of this that depends on the intent and purpose of the query which is not necessarily evident. A query that is sent in order to test an ACL and elicits a REFUSED response might be positive, if your goal is to confirm that the query is blocked. I appreciate that's almost certainly not the intention from the perspective of unbound or its administrator.

Joe