Multiple stub-addr:|master: [Was: Re: Multiple forward-addr: _ order of evaluation?]

W.C.A. Wijngaards wouter at nlnetlabs.nl
Mon Jun 4 09:29:42 UTC 2018

Hi Harry,

On 01/06/18 19:22, Harry Schmalzbauer via Unbound-users wrote:
> Am 09.01.2018 um 10:53 schrieb Ralph Dolmans via Unbound-users:
>> Hi Harry,
>>
>> Unbound selects forward addresses in the same way as it selects
>> addresses for normal delegations. That is a random selection over the
>> list of addresses with an RTT band of 400 msec.
>
> Hello,
>
> is this also true for master: (auth-zone clause) and/or stub-addr:
> (stub-zone clause)?
>
> I mean, is there any way to define the prefered master in case of
> auth-zone clause, and define a second master as fallback in case there
> was no answer within a defined timeout?
>
> If someone has already tried out/ knows the code I'd highly appreciate
> any hints.

It tries them in the order you specified.  For auth-zone.

If there are notifies.  And the notify is from a master-ip, then that
master that sent the notify also gets tried first.  If that fails the
list is started from the beginning, in order.  And this would then try
that master again, in the list, another time.

For stub-addr it is what Ralph said, there is also an experimental
feature where you can influence server selection for them.  You can set
low-rtt and low-rtt-permil: 900  to make unbound select stub-addr and
forward-addr and internet servers from delegations that have low ping
times for 90% of the time.

Best regards, Wouter