dynamic ip host & auto dns changes

Ernie Luzar luzar722 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 19 21:09:18 UTC 2017

Jan Komissar (jkomissa) wrote:
> The hints file should have it, but even without that, Unbound should have built-in root hints.
>
> If that doesn’t work, you need to inspect the network traffic. It’s possible your ISP is blocking DNS traffic that’s not going to their servers.

I think you just hit the mail on the head with my ISP is blocking DNS
traffic that’s not going to their servers.

when I issue  drill facebook.com  I get rcode NOERROR, but
drill facebook.com @8.8.8.8
I receive error msg  Error: error sending query: Error creating socket
I believe 8.8.8.8 is one of googles main dns services. I also tried
using the dns ip for at&t and got same results.

Now we both know that things are changing on the public internet to
address dos attacks. This is a transparent solution to many people but
comes to light with built-in "root zone" function of unbound. This
should be brought to the attention of the unbound maintainers so they
can remove the built-in "root zone" function from the source as it has
become obsolete.

Thanks for you help and insight.