Issues with DNSSEC, use-caps-for-id, and empty responses

W.C.A. Wijngaards wouter at nlnetlabs.nl
Thu Jul 20 07:12:57 UTC 2017

Hi Jacob,

A quick response would be that I have had a string of bug reports, where
other software failed to create correct empty DNSSEC proofs.  The DNSSEC
proofs would not be correct for a particular corner case, and that
corner case was hit by their options.  caps for id and also the harden
referral path and also the qname-minimisation options affected this.
With qname minimisation a query would be asked, one with an empty
response, that needed to be DNSSEC valid, but did not get asked by other
users.  And the other software (online signing?) did not create the
correct response.

use caps for id creates upper and lower case characters, and the (online
signing?) other party perhaps does not downcase before creating the
signatures correctly?  Something that you could then easily reproduce
without the caps for id option by asking a query with uppercase
characters mixed into the name.

One reason why empty responses and caps for id could fail together, is
that for an empty response, if that uses NSEC, something to do with the
query name is put in the NSEC rdata, the NSEC next closer name.  Perhaps
that is not downcased properly before signing.

Best regards, Wouter