Unbound amplification behaviour on SERVFAIL with many forwarders

info at rickvanderzwet.nl info at rickvanderzwet.nl
Wed Jan 18 22:29:53 UTC 2017

Hi,

I am trying to setup unbound as the default nameserver within the
Stichting Wireless Leiden Community network, yet I am getting
amplification issues when querying domains with SERVFAIL responses. I am
using 'test123456789.nl' as example domain (if somebody knows the
official 'SERVFAIL' test server, I would be happy).

The setup consist of 20+ edge-nodes (those have an internet connection)
which provide recursive DNS services and are configured like this:
forward-zone:
     name: '.'
     forward-addr: 8.8.8.8
     forward-addr: 8.8.4.4

(Using the vanilla config of dns/unbound port of FreeBSD as base).

Secondly I have access-nodes (those without internet connection), which
are configured like this:
     forward-zone
         name: '.'
         forward-addr: 172.31.254.1
         forward-addr: 172.31.254.2
         forward-addr: 172.31.254.3
         ...<snip>...
         forward-addr: 172.31.254.48
         forward-addr: 172.31.254.49
         forward-addr: 172.31.254.50

All nodes together make up an distributed network, due to the resilience
and the nature of the network the access-node indeed has 50 forwarders
configured [1]

When I issue a request against an access-node, itself will query the
fastest 'edge-node', since it will receive an SERVFAIL as response, it
will continue to query the second, and the third, the forth,.... Meaning
my single request gets asked to all 'edge-nodes' of which all of them
which all test same question to its uplink providers.

This amplication is a real problem, since we have seen viruses on
client-devices which basically act like this:
    sh -c 'for N in $(seq 0 10000); do echo drill a$N.test123456789.nl
@127.0.0.1 \& ; done' | sh -x

Any pointers in how-to limit this amplification behaviour without
scrubbing the forwarders list?

Best regards,
/Rick van der Zwet

[1] FYI: Previously I used with BIND an small homebrew tool to reshuffle
the /etc/resolv.conf as such that the fastest DNS server was listed
first, how-ever I rather like to use unbound, since it much more memory
friendly and also has the ability to deal with this kind of optimization
much smarter itself, in which at first glance indeed seems to be the
case.