Unbound Consultation

Benno Overeinder benno at NLnetLabs.nl
Thu Aug 10 11:35:27 UTC 2017

Hi,

I agree with Eric that your question might apply to the authoritative
name server rather than Unbound.  Having said that, there are options to
reduce/minimize the authoritative and additional section in a DNS
response (minimal-responses option both in NSD and Unbound), but not for
the answer section.

For large answers though, TCP fail-over should work or an EDNS buffer
size of 4096 (if client supports EDNS).

An authoritative/recursive name server cannot cut an answer in pieces
and remove RRs.  If your users still encounter this problem with a large
answer section, the suggestion of Eric would be your path forward and
you can develop a Python plugin to modify DNS replies such that if fits
with your requirements.

Best regards,

-- Benno

--