Unbound: slow issues.

Daniel Ryšlink daniel.ryslink at dialtelecom.cz
Tue Oct 25 15:28:53 UTC 2016

For the record, I am also running the latest version of Unbound (1.5.10)
on FreeBSD 10.3 with libevent compilation option, and I have no problems
whatsoever.

Recommended things to check:

- sysctl limits for network buffers, expecially TCP buffers, since the
penetration of DNSSec means that TCP based DNS traffic is increasing.

- in case you use stateful firewall, check limits for max number of
states, since you can run out quite easily. Stateless rules for DNS
traffic are recommended. Also limit for maximum fragmented packet limits.

- try to monitor your system resource usage, especially memory - do you
have enough? does the system swap during peaks in traffic?

- check logs for messages concerning failures to send packets, limits
for various resources reached, etc

Also, my servers are constantly bombarded by bogus queries about bogus
domains featuring non-responsive authoritative nameservers (targets of
some  DDOS attack, if I understand it correctly), and such queries can
exhaust your resources rapidly, since each unresolved TCP query consumes
a portion of memory before it times out. Use the command
"unbound-control dump_requestlist" to check what queries are being
resolved during the time the server appears to be non-responsive/slow. I
had to implement a countermeasure that recognizes these bogus queries
and replies with NXDOMAIN RCODE immediately, saving the resolver's
memory for legitimate traffic.

I am not saying that there cannot be a problem with the newest version
of Unbound, just reporting everything is fine here and trying to provide
some tips.

--
S pozdravem,
Daniel Ryšlink