Why are unbound-control local_zone_remove/local_zone/local_data so incredibly slow ?

Ralph Dolmans ralph at nlnetlabs.nl
Wed Nov 30 13:36:30 UTC 2016

Hi,

Unbound-control sets up a TLS connection for every command. Setting up
30k TLS connections one after another does take some time.

If your unbound daemon and unbound-control are on the same machine you
could try to communicate over a secured local socket and disable
control-use-cert. This might speed it up a little.

I just added some code to Unbound to bulk add and remove local-zones and
local-data, by reading input from stdin. This gives the possibility to
do the update over a single connection using local_zones,
local_zones_remove, local_datas and local_datas_remove. This code will
be in the next Unbound release.

Regards,
-- Ralph