L-Root IPv6 address renumbering

W.C.A. Wijngaards wouter at nlnetlabs.nl
Thu Mar 10 08:27:13 UTC 2016

Hi David,

On 09/03/16 22:06, David Soltero via Unbound-users wrote:

> This is advance notice that there is a scheduled change to the IPv6
> addresses in the Root Zone for the L root-server, also known as
>  L.ROOT-SERVERS.NET, which is administered by the ICANN.
>
> The current IP addresses for the L.ROOT-SERVERS.NET service are:
>
> 199.7.83.42
>
> 2001:500:3::42
>

> As of March 23, 2016, the new IP addresses for
> the L.ROOT-SERVERS.NET service will be:
>
> 199.7.83.42
>
> 2001:500:9f::42
>

> The change will be implemented on the root zone on March 23, 2016
> 2100UTC,  however the new address is already operational.
>

> We encourage DNS infrastructure operators to update their DNS resolvers
> root "hints” file.

I have updated the default root hints that ship inside the source code
of Unbound (in the code repository, for future releases).  Thank you for
the notification.

Users can upgrade the root hints right now by editing the named.root (or
named.cache, or root.hints file) and using the root-hints: "filename"
directive in unbound.conf.  Or they can wait for a source code upgrade
if they are using defaults.

Best regards, Wouter