Can't dig +trace?

Jaap Akkerhuis jaap at NLnetLabs.nl
Tue Jul 28 13:17:29 UTC 2015

 Fongaboo via Unbound-users writes:

 > I have unbound running and clients using dig seem not to be able to trace?
 >

 > dig +trace www.amiga.com
 >
 > ; <<>> DiG 9.6.2-P2 <<>> +trace www.amiga.com
 > ;; global options: +cmd
 > ;; Received 12 bytes from <MY-UNBOUND-IP>#53(MY-UNBOUND-IP) in 0 ms
 >

 > However if I hit Google's lookup servers with the same command from the
 > same client machine, I get the expected response...

The +trace option causes dig not to use the local resolver. From the
dig manual:

      +[no]trace
           Toggle tracing of the delegation path from the root name servers
           for the name being looked up. Tracing is disabled by default. When
           tracing is enabled, dig makes iterative queries to resolve the name
           being looked up. It will follow referrals from the root servers,
           showing the answer from each server that was used to resolve the
           lookup.

So it is unlikely that this is related to unbound.

	jaap