[Unbound-users] error when threading enabled on local_unbound on FreeBSD 10.x

unbound at fongaboo.com unbound at fongaboo.com
Mon Jul 20 03:15:16 UTC 2015

I was setting up local_unbound (the built-in instance of unbound in
FreeBSD 10.x). However, I had a conf file that I had a much more
customized from a previous install of the stock unbound I had on earlier box.

When I tried to transplant the more elaborate conf and have local_unbound
run it, I got the following errors:

> [1437336832] unbound[69115:0] warning: too many file descriptors requested. The builtin mini-event cannot handle more than 1024. Config for less fds or compile with libevent
> [1437336832] unbound[69115:0] warning: continuing with less udp ports: 211
> [1437336832] unbound[69115:0] debug: switching log to syslog

I bit-by-bit added on section at a time to unbound.conf until I found the
offender was this entry:

   # number of threads to create. 1 disables threading. This should equal the number
   # of CPU cores in the machine. Our example machine has 4 CPU cores.
   num-threads: 4

Why would threading cause these errors? What is the default setting when
the entry is commented out?

TIA

  shot through the heart              ooh baby do you know what that's worth
  and you're to blame                         ooh heaven is a place on earth
  darling you give love                  they say in heaven love comes first
  a bad name                              we'll make heaven a place on earth
  ORBITAL                                                     "Halcyon Live"