[Unbound-users] Delegation-only zones and non-root zone RFC 5011?

W.C.A. Wijngaards wouter at nlnetlabs.nl
Tue Jan 20 09:25:06 UTC 2015

Hi Viktor,

On 20/01/15 05:32, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:
> [...]

$ dig mytld DNSKEY > mytld.key
# check if key is trustworthy
# add a line to unbound.conf:
auto-trust-anchor-file: "mytld.key"

>> I don't know of any zones other than the root which promise to
>> follow the RFC 5011 key rollover timing requirements. (And even
>> the root zone does it wrong by not having a standby KSK.)
>>
>> If you want to use RFC 5011 on a TLD you will have to inspect
>> their DNSSEC Practice Statement with care.
>
> Yes of course, that makes sense.  We're may not be quite there
> yet. And yet at some point this may become more important, and so
> the question is whether unbound is ready to support such non-root
> zones if when they show up...

You can add them into the config file with the auto-trust-anchor-file
statement.  You can repeat this statement in the config file to add
more trust anchors.

> I can, for example, envision the ".de" TLD adopting such a policy,
> and interested resolvers starting to track those keys per RC 5011,
> thereby closing opportunities for the root zone keys to return
> improper .de answers.

If you have nested trust anchors, unbound uses the closest one by
preference (i.e. exactly what you say that you want).