[Unbound-users] how often can I call stats_noreset?

W.C.A. Wijngaards wouter at nlnetlabs.nl
Mon Nov 17 12:39:17 UTC 2014

Hi Jan-Frode

On 16/11/14 19:46, Jan-Frode Myklebust wrote:
> I've started implementing a Performance CoPilot* PMDA**, so that we
> can collect all the metrics from "unbound-control stats_noreset"
> together with other system performance metrics, and view the
> performance numbers both realtime and collect historically. Example
> screenshot of pmchart visualizer showing some live unbound and cpu
> performance metrics: http://tanso.net/pcp-unbound.png
>
> So, this PMDA is now running "unbound-control stats_noreset" every
> second, which seems a bit excessive maybe, but is there any reason
> to be carefull with how often we call stats_noreset?  Or are there
> any more efficient way of polling these numbers if stats_noreset is
> unadvicable?

Unbound will briefly poll the other threads over the internal pipes to
collect the information and thread-0 is busy answering this data over
the control connection.  Other than that, once per second should work
fine.  I would personally recommend a lower polling rate, but it
should work.

For NSD (which you did not mention), this would be a problem, and you
would need to upgrade to the latest version to get a repeated-fork-fix
that stops (Linux-)system performance degrade after millions of fork
operations.