[Unbound-users] C-root IPv6 patch

Leen Besselink leen at consolejunkie.net
Sun Mar 30 20:30:13 UTC 2014

On Sun, Mar 30, 2014 at 09:18:01PM +0200, Anand Buddhdev wrote:
> On 30/03/2014 20:34, Stephan Lagerholm wrote:
>
> Hi Stephan,
>
> > There are still peering issues with that particular operator over
> > IPv6. At least from where I try:
> >
> > stephan at pi:~$ dig -6 @a.root-servers.net . SOA +short
> > a.root-servers.net. nstld.verisign-grs.com. 2014033001 1800 900 604800 86400
> >
> > stephan at pi:~$ dig -6 @c.root-servers.net . SOA +short
> > ; <<>> DiG 9.9.2-rpz+rl.094.21-P2 <<>> -6 @c.root-servers.net . SOA +short
> > ; (1 server found)
> > ;; global options: +cmd
> > ;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached
> >
> > stephan at pi:~$ dig -4 @c.root-servers.net . SOA +short
> > a.root-servers.net. nstld.verisign-grs.com. 2014033001 1800 900 604800 86400
> >
> > So before you apply the patch or change your roots-hints file,
> > please check that you have v6 connectivity.
>
> Well, not applying the patch won't prevent your cache from trying
> C-root's IPv6 address, because a priming query will give you the IPv6
> address. The patch just makes unbound's internal hints consistent with
> the published root hints and the priming query.
>
> > It is unfortunate that the v6 address of c-root is not reachable
> > everywhere on the internet. Maybe you or somebody else can check
> > connectivity via the atlas probes?
>
> We'll add C-root's IPv6 address to DNSMON soon, and that should reveal
> routing problems. However, I will also notify my contacts at Cogent
> (C-root operator) about this issue. Thanks for alerting us to it.

First things first, Cogent has a public looking glass:

http://www.cogentco.com/en/network/looking-glass

In all honesty, my first thought would be to doubt that they'll fix the issue.

Because certain peering issues Cogent has seem to be business decisions, but I'm probably cynical. :-)

Then again, the C-root IPv6 address is announced as a /48: 2001:500:2::/48

And /48 filtering isn't uncommon either.

Anyway both issues still remain on the IPv6 Internet to this day.