[Unbound-users] problem with forward zone?

Casey Stone tcstone at caseystone.com
Wed Jan 22 09:18:19 UTC 2014

I previously posted about Unbound seemingly not observing the forward-zone settings in my setup (unbound version 1.4.19 on Ubuntu 13.04 server). My reason for using the forward-zone directive in unbound.conf is to forward all requests through dnscrypt-proxy running on the localhost:

forward-zone:
      name: "."
      forward-addr: 127.0.0.2

I received no feedback from this list so I also posted on dnscrypt-proxy github page ( https://github.com/jedisct1/dnscrypt-proxy/issues/19 ) where thankfully a fellow affected individual, Simon, posted his solution.

This could be a BUG in UNBOUND ... the solution is unbound.conf MUST explicitly turn off remote control (neither of us was using remote control):

remote-control:
       control-enable: no

Simply not including control-enable in the unbound.conf is not sufficient. More documentation/discussion of the issue, setup, and solution is available on the above mentioned github page.

Thank you.

-Casey