[Unbound-users] Performance tuning tips?

Jaco Lesch jacol at saix.net
Thu Feb 7 12:45:27 UTC 2013

Andreas/Wouter

Thanks for your insight and feedback.

With the info/ideas from Andreas I have amended the parameters in the
unbound.conf as follows:
         # Optimise settings
         num-threads: 64
         #
         msg-cache-slabs: 64
         rrset-cache-slabs: 64
         infra-cache-slabs: 64
         key-cache-slabs: 64
         rrset-cache-size: 1024m
         msg-cache-size: 512m
         infra-cache-numhosts: 100000
         #
         # Larger socket buffer
         # For Solaris 11 set the following UDP parameter 1st:
         # 'ipadm set-prop -p max_buf=8388608 udp'
         so-rcvbuf: 8m
         so-sndbuf: 8m
         #
         outgoing-range: 32768
         num-queries-per-thread: 1024

This improved performance significantly with a jump from 3600 qps to
6200 qps and the system was not sluggish with this "workload" at all.
The magic seems to have been the combination of "outgoing-range" and
"num-queries-per-thread", the system load did drop from 28 to around 21
directly after this change.

I also did recompile with Wouter's suggestion of using only Solaris
threads, but the gain was very little if any. Again this is something to
keep in mind for the future? Also stayed with the 64 threads for now,
but at a later stage will test again at a full 128 threads, when I feel
brave again.

Regards