[Unbound-users] Caching 'invalid response' or at least knowing not to look it up again...

W.C.A. Wijngaards wouter at nlnetlabs.nl
Mon Sep 17 07:22:16 UTC 2012

Hi Karl,

On 09/15/2012 10:04 AM, Karl Pielorz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We're running Unbound 1.4.18 on a number of FreeBSD machines now -
> and this generally, seems to be running well.
>
> Initially we had an issue with our forwarders being 'overrun' for
> queries when domains were invalid - this was fixed by setting our
> "forward only" unbound.conf to use 'forward-first: no'

Glad to hear that it works well now.

> However, our BIND based forwarders (which unbound forwards onto)
> still see a large percentage of queries for domains, which they
> cannot resolve properly - and therefore return "invalid response",
> e.g.
>
> " 15-Sep-2012 06:02:08.484 resolver: notice: DNS format error from
> 195.189.226.227#53 resolving iumdoctors.com/NS for client
> 192.168.0.2#5828: invalid response "

Yes if unbound was to resolve this domain itself, it would also create
a failure (from a quick look).

> Unbound running on 192.168.0.2 will keep asking for data about
> "iumdoctors.com" quite often, for quite a while. This may well be
> for 'iumdoctors.com'.

> Is there any setting in 1.4.18 that we can use to tell Unbound to
> cache the fact this query failed / gave an invalid response, so it
> can answer to clients for say the next 5 or 10 minutes from cache -
> without bothering the main forwarders?

There is no setting in the config file, but there is a constant in the
software code, in util/data/msgparse.h:78, NORR_TTL.  You can change
this to a higher value and recompile if you want to store failed
queries for a longer time.

> This would dramatically cut the number of these queries being
> issued against our forwarders.

But, the problem with a large timeout here, and the reason for this
'fairly short but nonzero value' there is now, is that for many
queries, a retry may solve the situation.  A large value here would
turn a temporary failure that would otherwise be unnoticed after it
works a minute later, into a longterm failure.