[Unbound-users] patch implementing round robin rrsets

Olaf Kolkman olaf at NLnetLabs.nl
Wed Mar 7 16:59:48 UTC 2012

On Mar 7, 2012, at 4:49 PM, Tony Finch wrote:

> Olaf Kolkman <olaf at NLnetLabs.nl> wrote:
>>
>> But you could reasonably ask whether those load balancing properties
>> should be under the control of the authoritative or the recursive name
>> server.
>
> Indeed :-)
>
> The problem with saying it must only be the authority's job is that in
> situations like ours (which being a university is I guess not that
> different from Thijs's) the user population do not use very many different
> resolvers, so the authorities do not get the opportunity to serve up lots
> of different RR set orderings, unless you go for ridiculously short TTLs.

So, you want to do traffic management to infrastructure within your own administrative domain with the resolver. If that is indeed the use case it is an argument for making an option like this configurable on a per domain basis, when you consciously want to overwrite the intention of the domain holder.

--Olaf (just thinking out loud)

http://www.nlnetlabs.nl/