[Unbound-users] patch implementing round robin rrsets

W.C.A. Wijngaards wouter at nlnetlabs.nl
Wed Mar 7 13:04:29 UTC 2012

Hi Thijs,

Nice patch. :-)

I would like to accept it, because it is short and helpful and
lightweight. There are the following suggestions below.

The line of interest is this one:
- -		rr = random();

Now it seems that random() locks a mutex on Linux and may produce
improper results on FreeBSD in threads (but still reasonably random).
 So, I want to lock it less.  Also suggest to move the line one
further (behind the variable declaration).
+		rr = (data->count==1)?0:random();

And then hope that on Linux, performance does not degrade
multithreaded (it'll be copying the RR data while other threads lock
this lock).

In general a threadsafe solution with threadlocal storage requires a
lot more work.  An alternative is to be blatantly thread-unsafe (its
non-security related pretty-random numbers anyway), and make a
	static int state = 1;
and use a simple congruent random function, the rand function:
	state = state * 1103515245 + 12345;
	rr = (unsigned)(state/65536) % 32768;
But then I worry about cache-line contention on the int state.

Depending on how this works out, this could end up in the mainline
source, and the code needs to have the BSD license for that.  Or we
can put the patch in the contrib directory of the source tarball
(license of your choice).