[Unbound-users] Query over 'forward-addr' / 'forward-first'

Karl Pielorz kpielorz_lst at tdx.co.uk
Wed Jul 18 13:25:54 UTC 2012

--On 18 July 2012 13:01 +0200 "W.C.A. Wijngaards" <wouter at nlnetlabs.nl>
wrote:

>> Is there any way of seeing (e.g. from 'unbound-control
>> dump_infra') which forwarders it considers 'available' or 'not
>> available' / down?
>
> Yes, dump_infra would do so, the IP addresses are listed, right?
> Or, unbound-control lookup .

Thanks for your reply...

The IP addresses were listed. Given time I've seen that the 'rto' field
seems to go to high values for 'failed' unavailable servers, e.g.

"
1.1.1.1           rto 119000 msec, ttl 756, ping 161 var 222 rtt 1049, tA
2, tAAAA 0, tother 3, probedelay 17, EDNS 0 probed.
2.2.2.2            rto 119000 msec, ttl 758, ping 0 var 94 rtt 376, tA 2,
tAAAA 0, tother 3, probedelay 13, EDNS 0 assumed.
3.3.3.3            rto 119000 msec, ttl 759, ping 0 var 94 rtt 376, tA 2,
tAAAA 0, tother 3, probedelay 13, EDNS 0 assumed.
"

So I presume that's what I'm looking for rather than a 'down' type flag?

>> Also, can someone clarify what 'forward-first' actually means? - In
>> the man page it says:
>>
>> "If  enabled,  a query is attempted without the forward clause if
>> it fails.  The default is no."
>>
>> With this set to 'yes' - if I fail all the forwarders, nothing
>> gets resolved (I was kind of expecting it to retry the query - with
>> the roots? - i.e. no forwarders?) - or does this not apply if
>> you're trying to forward "."?
>
> It resolves the query with the roots.  But this may need a timeout of
> several seconds before it does so.

I don't see this here - if I deliberately fail the DNS servers being
forwarded to, nothing resolves, e.g. having null-routed all the forwarders
(and checking from the command line they're not available) I get:

"
#time dig www.intel.com

; <<>> DiG 9.4.3-P2 <<>> www.intel.com
;; global options:  printcmd
0.000u 0.007s 0:18.00 0.0%      0+0k 0+0io 0pf+0w
"

That's a timeout of 18 seconds gone by. If I repeat the query it still
fails - over, and over (with timeout between 8 and 20 seconds), nothing
gets resolved (see the 'dump_infra' above for unbound's state at the time).

With verbose logging turned on, queries in this state are fired off to the
forwarders - multiple times (and go unanswered), but it seems never to
decide to query "the roots".

If I remove the "forwarders" section and restart unbound, it quite happily
provides DNS resolution based on the root servers (so it does work - just
not when 'forward-zone "."' is used it appears).

-Karl