[Unbound-users] How to use Alternative Other Root DNS server with DNSSEC validation

Leen Besselink leen at consolejunkie.net
Thu Aug 23 09:43:32 UTC 2012

On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 11:14:57AM +0200, Leen Besselink wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 09:20:08PM -0700, Bry8 Star wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> Hi,
>
> > There are many other Root servers other than ICANN Root servers. For
> > example: CesidianRoot (http://www.cesidianroot.net/), OpenNIC
> > (http://www.opennicproject.org/), New Nations (New-Nations.net),
> > Namecoin DNS (DotBIT project, bit DNS) (http://dot-bit.org),  42
> > (http://42registry.org/), OVH (http://ovh.co.uk/), i-DNS (MultiLingual
> > DNS) (i-dns.net), Public-Root ( http://public-root.com), UnifiedRoot
> > (unifiedroot.com), etc.
> >
> > How can i integrate all into one Unbound or into a central Unbound ? to
> > use their all TLDs, which are not found in default ICANN/IANA root servers.
> >

> That is gonna be an interresting journey to get that working if you want
> DNSSEC.
>
> Extra root servers, especially with DNSSEC, seems kind of unlikely to me.
>
> As the ICANN root is signed, you can't really add other data to a signed zone
> at the same level as far as I know.
>
> Extra TLD's should be possible.
>
> You'll need a stub-zone and (auto-)trust-anchor for each TLD that supports DNSSEC.
>
> However a validating resolver on a desktop/laptop/mobile device which does not
> have that installed would reject the data.

I should probably add:

As the above is the case, I wouldn't be surprised that this won't work in 5 or 10 years.

It might be that by then a significant number of hosts will have a DNSSEC-validator
and enabled by default.

If you run an alternative TLD, it would be a good idea in the long run to look
at registering your TLD at ICANN.

The other alternative is browser- or OS-addons which handle the alternative TLDs, but
as more and more different devices get Internet enabled. It might need to be created
for many platforms.