[Unbound-users] Doing queries in python/lua modules

Mon May 16 07:35:21 UTC 2011

Hi,

On 05/13/2011 05:26 PM, Paul Wouters wrote:
> On Fri, 13 May 2011, Bernhard Schmidt wrote:
>> I'm trying to implement DNS64 in Unbound (the code by Viagenie sort of
>> works, but has a few issues and is pretty intrusive)
>
> What are the issues?

> I was wondering if I should include the patch in the Fedora/rhel version of
> unbound, so any stability issue you see (esp. when not using the nat64
> options)
> would be very useful to know.
>
> Wouter: will this patch be merged into unbound?

The patch is to be merged if good quality and useful for general
audience.  So I do not know.  The source contrib directory in the
tarball of unbound is useful for putting the patch meanwhile.  Or if the
license is a little different.  Or if there are multiple patch
contenders.  I have simply not received patch(es) to put into the
unbound contrib (but people are working :-) ).

> (for those wondering see: http://ecdysis.viagenie.ca/download.html)
>
>> and it looks to me
>> like a python/lua module would be a good idea to do it. This means that
>
> Wouldn't that be pretty bad for performance?

It is possible to make queries from the python module by creating a new
query for unbound to process (attach_query), then the query state that
has the subquery attached will get woken up with an event when that
query finishes processing.  Potentially the result is there as well.
You can access this API from python, but to understand it you need to
read the c header files, I think, or the doxygen documentation.  Note
that for example the new query gets full processing, and that includes
processing by your python module.