Maintained by: NLnet Labs

[Unbound-users] Freebsd Performance Tuning

Gareth Hopkins
Tue Jan 25 15:54:50 CET 2011

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 4:04 PM, <lst_hoe02 at> wrote:

> Zitat von Gareth Hopkins <gabbawp at>:
>  Hi,
>> There any tricks out there for tuning FreeBSD to run unbound doing around
>> 20k+ qps
>> Machine will have 4 Cpu's and 8GB Ram
> As starting point
> Also have a look at the follwoing points:
> - Check if firewall is enabled and if it supports many UDP "connections"
> - Check for the send/receive buffer max values for the OS
> - Check the max sockets/file descriptors of the OS
> Be aware that using unbound as *validating* resolver can slow down a lot
> due to more queries and higher computing overhead.

Hi Andreas

Thanks for the reply.

The unbound config is pretty much spot on and ready to go. I'm just looking
for the OS tweaking bits,
so things like, as you mention, max sockets and file descriptors, and what
would be considered decent