[Unbound-users] local-zone transparent behavior

Bryan Clay watermark86 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 19 13:18:21 UTC 2010

Wouter,

I haven't used stub zones much, but my understanding of stub zones is
they're kind of a read-only secondary zone.  I don't think they will solve
my issue.

I'll spare you the long story as to why, it's a good one, but this is what
I'm trying to do.  This setup is a local DNS server, so addresses that would
normally resolve to an external IP will get resolved to a private IP.

Whenever possible, a customer's DNS is setup cnamed to ourdom.com.  So
mail.customer.com is cnamed to mail.ourdom.com, www.customer.com cname
web1.ourdom.com, MX of customer.com points to smtp.ourdom.com.  We then only
have to maintain internal IPs for ourdom.com, much less overhead on an
internal DNS box.  The one downside to this is what if we host a website and
we type customer.com, can't cname that, so this is where Unbound came in.

I can use Unbound's transparent local-zone feature.  Install a box with
Unbound on port 53 and Bind on 5353, with Bind maintaining private IPs for
ourdom.com.  Unbound forwards to Bind and Bind forwards to the ISP's DNS.
 This allowed for www.customer.com (which cnames to web1.ourdom.com) to
resolve to a private IP.  I can use local-data to override customer.com. A
with the private IP.

Tried to send an email to customer.com, the email server can't find the MX
record.  The MX record exists upstream, it points to smtp.ourdom.com.  When
I hit Bind directly, it returns the private IP fine.  Unbound returns that
the record doesn't exist due to overriding company.com A.

I can make this work by adding the MX records into Unbound along with
company.com A, but the data I want is already upstream, I'd rather not enter
it again.  Looking at it from where I am, it would be really nice to have
the local-data override be type specific (local-data: "company.com. A
22.22.22.22" only overrides the A record and not the MX.)  It would be even
better to only have to tell Unbound one time that I want it that way, and
not on every zone.

Thanks for comments,
-Bryan