[Unbound-users] Setting max-time before servfail

Fri Jan 15 18:06:40 UTC 2010

Hi Gareth,

The lookup is really taking very long and unbound assumes that you
should keep waiting for the answer.  Unbound does not know what the
timeout of the client is, so cannot tell it servfail.

Perhaps the clients should have longer timeouts?  Or how else can they
insist on an answer within some time?  This is not part of the DNS
protocol?  They are obviously broken.

Now, to step back from ranting about broken other stuff, in reality, you
want stuff to work.  Right now unbound does not do what you want.  What
would work well?