[Unbound-users] Is there any memory leak in unbound?

Tue Sep 15 09:26:24 UTC 2009

Hi Tao Ma,

>     debug: cache memory msg=16528 rrset=33040 infra=672 val=24888

The values from your log file look very reasonable.  No problems here.
The sbrk keeps growing?

Ok, it is possible to enable even more memory debug, configure with
- --enable-alloc-checks and compile again.   Unbound prints:
info: Memory conditions: %u front=%u back=%u mesh=%u msg=%u rrset=%u
infra=%u iter=%u val=%u alloccache=%u globalalloccache=%u me=%u
But with values.

It also prints a log line for *every* alloc call.  So, you can see where
in the code it allocates all that memory.   This will make the
server very slow.  If you send me the log file (off-list to
wouter at nlnetlabs.nl , then I can parse it with testcode/memstats.c;
or you can do that yourself: make memstats ; ./memstats < logfile ).

To answer your question, unbound keeps some memory around, up to a
maximum, because free-ing something that you need later again is slow.
This should top out at 40Mb for the standard config.

Gentoo? Is it 64bit? Does it use a 'special' memory allocator in libc?