[Unbound-users] NOTIFY implementation to unbound

Greg A. Woods woods at planix.ca
Mon Oct 19 17:11:20 UTC 2009

At Wed, 14 Oct 2009 19:13:10 +0200, Peter Koch <pk at DENIC.DE> wrote:
Subject: Re: [Unbound-users] NOTIFY implementation to unbound

> the NOTIFY semantics are clearly only defined between a master originating
> the message and a slave acting upon it.  It currently uses the SOA RR
> to initiate an SOA check and subsequent *XFR processing.

Well, Duh!  :-)

The key concept here is that notify says something has changed with the
given zone.

> First of all, a recursive resolver is zone agnostic, it doesn't - and
> doesn't have to - know where the zone boundaries are, i.e. how far
> down the tree to flush the cache.  Second, a recursive resolver has no
> means to reload a zone.  Of course, one could start descending down the
> tree and re-query all cache content or do other fancy things.

You make things _soooo_ complicated!  K.I.S.S.

Unbound is a caching only nameserver.

It doesn't have to know about zones, sub-zones, etc.  It doesn't have to
reload anything.

All it has to do is flush records that _MAY_ now be out-of-date -- and
that's _everything_ matching the domain given in the NOTIFY.

Everything else stays the same -- the cache is re-loaded ONLY on demand.

--
						Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098                VE3TCP          RoboHack <woods at robohack.ca>
Planix, Inc. <woods at planix.com>      Secrets of the Weird <woods at weird.com>