[Unbound-users] What's wrong with CNAMEs in local-data?

Matthijs Mekking matthijs at NLnetLabs.nl
Mon Oct 19 10:36:42 UTC 2009

Hi Michael,

Cached data is gathered querying authoritative servers, local data is
not. Unbound is a recursive resolver, not an authoritative one. Thus, it
can resolve CNAMEs, but it is not intended to publish CNAMEs. The
authoritative features are minimal with a purpose.

If you need authoritative local data with CNAME (and DNAME, referrals,
wildcards, ...) processing, I advise to set up a stub zone.

stub-zone:
    name: "stub.example"
    stub-addr: 127.0.0.1 at 10053

And run NSD on port 10053 with the stub.example zone.

Best regards,

Matthijs Mekking
NLnet Labs