[Unbound-users] Help with configuring server

Walther Lalk waltherlalk at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 09:42:26 UTC 2009

Hi there

I am fairly new and inexperienced at configuring dns.

I am part of a city wide private wireless network (PTAWUG - www.ptawug.co.za).

The network has its own dns server, and I'd like to 'join' this dns
server to the dns for standard internet.

I have a freeBSD based server running in the house, and a separate
ADSL modem/router. My idea is to have Unbound running on the freeBSD
server and set that to be the DNS server that the computers connected
to the house network use. Basically, any dns queries that are for the
wireless network should be forwarded to the wireless dns server, and
any other queries should be forwarded to the ADSL router.

My current config file is as follows:
server:
        interface: 172.20.24.99
        access-control: 0.0.0.0/0 deny
        access-control: 172.20.24.96/28 allow
local-zone: "ptawug." nodefault
local-zone: "20.172.in-addr.arpa." nodefault
stub-zone:
       name: "ptawug."
       stub-addr: 172.20.5.132
       stub-addr: 172.20.1.1
stub-zone:
       name: "20.172.in-addr.arpa."
       stub-addr: 172.20.5.132
       stub-addr: 172.20.1.1
forward-zone:
        name: "."
        forward-addr: 172.20.24.98

As you can probably guess, the server is 172.20.24.99. The dns servers
for the wireless is 172.20.5.132 and 172.20.1.1, and the adsl router
is 172.20.24.98.

As it currently stands, dns queries to wireless addresses (always in
the form of host.ptawug) work 100% (forward and reverse), however
standard internet dns queries don't (for example google.com)

Has anybody ever needed to do something similar, or is willing to help me out?

Regards
Walther