[Unbound-users] FreeBSD + Unbound 1.0.2 error: too many file descriptors requested

Dmitriy Demidov dima_bsd at inbox.lv
Mon Aug 11 20:07:55 UTC 2008

Hi Wouter. Thanks for you answer!

On Monday 11 August 2008, you wrote:
> Hi Dmitriy,
> Unbound 1.0.2 calculates the maximum number of open files.  And checks
> if that is going to work. So that it does not start OK, but later on,
> when it is busy, fails.  This error is because the select system call
> has a hardcoded limit of 1024 (limited by the system).

Sorry. Can you please explain it more detailed - "hardcoded limit of 1024" -
is it FreeBSD limit or Unbound limit? Unbound 1.0.2 now checks for that, but
earlier versions didn't performed that checks?

> Libevent does not work for you?
> OK an alternative.
> Compile unbound with ./configure --without-pthreads

OK, I will take it into consideration.

It would be nice to be able to do it right - via threading, not via process
forking... May be, my problems will be solved then new libevent version will
be available in ports.

Abount unbound+libevent 1.3e problems. When unbound is linked with it, is
freezes randomly, it may do core dumps, and, if for example, it is configured
with 8 threads - only 2 or 3 of them are used and remaining threads are not
used at all (unbound statistics shows that). :(

Thank one more time for you answer.